As you know, I teach hoop dance. But believe it or not, hoop dance has served as a great teacher for me. I have learned many life lessons from this plastic circle, and I wanted to share some of them with you!
1. Life is made up of endless, constant decision making... let go and surrender to The Flow. Trust your
instincts. No one else is living your life. No one else is inside your hoop.
2. Take. Up. Space.
The Feminine often contract, pull in, and take up as little room as possible, physically. Expand!! Go big!! Extend, stretch, and take up space... you are allowed to use every corner, reach, and spread your wings!
3. Everyone has their own individual rhythmic relationship with their hoop, their own individual perspective and interpretation of life and its circumstances. Trust your instincts. No one else is living your life. No one else is inside your hoop.
4. The body has knowledge. It has wisdom that will reveal itself if you allow it to.
5. Things cannot be forced. They happen in their own time and we must practice patience and understanding with ourselves. If something isn't clicking, or working for you, walk away. Return later with a fresh perspective and you just might nail it!
6. Everything that expands, also contracts... the shoreline, our breath... Allow the movement and momentum of the hoop to do the same.
7. If you mess up (drop the hoop, make a poor choice, whatever the case is) pick it up (the hoop, your head...) and keep at
8. You will not blossom unless you are willing to work past your current comfort zone. Notice, current: your comfort zone will expand with each practice session.
10. We are all connected! The hoop dance community has introduced me to hundreds of people, and as my circle continues to expand, I see more and more often that these people are all weaved together in a beautiful connective tapestry. The 6 degrees of separation theory is true!
11. Creativity is infinite. It blew my mind as a child when my artist mother told me that colors were infinite. This means that art in infinite, and if music is infinite, so is dance. The same applies to hooping. There are endless possibilities, in our movement on the dance floor AND our navigation through life. Self-expression can come in as many forms as there are
One more, for good measure:
Mind stillness, body movement...THIS is this is the fountain of youth!
Can you think of any that I didn't cover? Leave the lessons YOU learned in the comments below!
xo Happy Hooping!